Click Here to Subscribe: http://Bit.ly/ThomasVid
Get the Clothes I Wear at 25% Off - Use Code: TDSUMMER25 at http://www.Hylete.com
Weight Gain: Can you Store Fat in Specific Areas- Thomas DeLauer… Can you store body fat in a specific area of your body? That's a big question, and a lot of people ask me, "Hey, Thomas, I store body fat in my legs," or "I store body fat in my arms or in my abdomen. Is there any way that I can change that?" Well, the short answer is kind of yes and no. You see, a lot of it ends up being dictated, of course, by our genetics, but I know that's not the answer that you want to hear.
So, in this video, I'm going to break it down beyond genetics. I'm going to break it down to some hormones. I'm going to help you understand why you might be storing fat in a specific area and maybe a couple things that you can start to control that might help that situation out. Hey, if you haven't already, I do encourage you to subscribe to my channel so that you can make sure you see all the videos that I post every single week, and please turn that little bell on so you can turn on notifications to know whenever I post a new video.
All right, so first and foremost, we do have to look at DNA. I want to get this out of the way. First off, we have to understand that over 50% of the actual fat storage different that occurs in our body is truly dictated by our genetics, and when it comes down to gender differences, sometimes it can be as much as 70% dictated by our genetics with that remaining 30% having to do with age, having to do with ethnicity and a number of other, still, genetic factors. So the reality is, yes genes play a big role in it, but we do have some other catalysts at play.
One in particular is one that you know of, cortisol. You see, cortisol is a stress hormone. We all hear the ads, we've seen the marketing that talks about cortisol and belly fat, but the reality is, it is kind of true and here's how it works. You see, cortisol exerts a very powerful effect on adipose tissue metabolism, and it's all because of something known as glucocorticoid receptors. You see, cortisol is a glucocorticoid, and we have specific receptors that are in our fat cells called glucocorticoid receptors.
These glucocorticoid receptors receive a message from cortisol and then store fat in a specific way. Well, since fat already has a glucocorticoid receptor in it, the more fat that we accumulate, the more glucocorticoid receptors we have, and the more cortisol we receive and the more fat we deposit. So, since cortisol acts via the glucocorticoid receptor, it actually triggers something known as a lipoprotein lipase, and when lipoprotein lipase acts within this continuum of glucocorticoids, it has a variable density in different areas of the body in which it deposits fat.
So it goes through a specific order. It actually starts with visceral adipose tissue, which is the fat that is underneath our skin, but even one step further, surrounding our organs at the very far interior of our body. Then, the next place that [replaces 00:02:32] it is good old fashion abdominal subcu fat, which is traditional abdominal fat. Then, the next order of business after that is going to be femoral subcu fat, so that's more fat that's going to be stored in the legs. There's actually an order, so when it comes down to proving the relationship between hormones and where we store fat, cortisol is really the only one that is tried and true, and proven, to really cause body fat to be stored in a specific area.
1) Hormonal control of regional fat distribution. BjÃ¶rntorp P. Hum Reprod. 1997 Oct;12 Suppl 1:21-5.
2) Hormones and body-fat distribution. (2017, May 12). Retrieved from https://ironlifemag.com/hormones-and-body-fat-distribution/
3) Woodhouse LJ , et al. (n.d.). Dose-dependent effects of testosterone on regional adipose tissue distribution in healthy young men. - PubMed - NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14764787
4) Ho KY , et al. (n.d.). Effects of gender and age on the 24-hour profile of growth hormone secretion in man: importance of endogenous estradiol concentrations. - PubMed - NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3782436
5) BL, W. (n.d.). Subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue: their relation to the metabolic syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11133069
6) P, B. (n.d.). Hormonal control of regional fat distribution. - PubMed - NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9403318
7) De Pergola G , et al. (n.d.). Free triiodothyronine and thyroid stimulating hormone are directly associated with waist circumference, independently of insulin resistance, metabo... - PubMed - NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17547687